Senior Bioinformatics Scientist - Cambridge
Remote/hybrid working option
You will be part of an industry leading Genomics company, who are working in the development and accessibility of sequencing products to push the boundaries of drug discovery and therapy development. You will be part of a global team of experienced bioinformaticians at the forefront of disease research in several critical research areas.
Algorithms and models developed through this role will be published in peer-reviewed journals, as software products, and as patents. This will increase the accuracy, throughput, and reproducibility of genome interpretation, thereby removing barriers to the clinical adoption of whole-genome sequencing.
What are they looking for?
They are looking to hire exceptional individuals to work on a number of cutting-edge projects at the interface between bioinformatics and machine learning.
- You are likely to have a Ph.D. in a quantitative subject and may also have a subsequent track record of publications in academia, or comparable industry experience.
- You are experienced in combining bioinformatics tools such as samtools and bcftools into robust and reproducible analysis pipelines.
- You have demonstrated the ability to write efficient and maintainable code, most likely in Python with exposure to data science libraries such as pandas, NumPy and scikit-learn. Other languages such as R and C++ are also of interest.
- You are a clear and enthusiastic communicator of your work verbally, in writing, and in presentations.
You should combine this with experience in at least one of the following areas:
- Familiarity with key calculations in statistical genetics such as PCA and GWAS and the ability to apply them in practice. Experience of population-scale datasets such as UK Biobank is a plus.
- Experience in comparative genomics, perhaps involving datasets such as Zoonomia or Darwin Tree of Life.
- Computational analysis of common functional genomics assays such as RNA-Seq (especially single-cell), ChIA-PET and Hi-C.
- Interest in machine learning, as demonstrated by exposure to machine learning frameworks such as PyTorch and TensorFlow.
More about the Senior Bioinformatics Scientist role:
The role is based at a purpose-built facility just outside Cambridge UK. Hours are flexible and requests for full or partial remote working will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Candidates wishing to work remotely from the Netherlands, France, or Belgium may also be considered. You will also collaborate closely with colleagues in the UK and in the US.
You can expect a highly competitive salary accompanied by a market-leading benefits package. You will be part of a global life sciences leader, where you will find robust growth opportunities and career development.
If this sounds interesting, please apply right away with an up-to-date CV and any relevant project work.